Saturday, October 15, 2016

She Believed She Could, So She Did



AAK.  I am a statistic of domestic violence.  I usually do not share my story but have chosen to in case it will help someone in a domestic violence situation.  It was Christmas eve twenty some years ago.   We had a previous incident where I was in the vehicle with my husband and we had gotten into an argument.  He took the vehicle by the river and overlooking the bank he put one foot on the brakes and one foot on the gas.  I was a victim of his madness. Since the vehicle was not moving, without thinkingm, I opened the door and jumped out.  That ended his rein of terror for the night as he lost control and that power of fear he had over me in the vehicle.

This night it was different.  I feared for my life.  I came home from working a second shift job.  The next day we were going to celebrate Christmas with my family.  It was going to be a busy day and I was tired from the week of work.  My husband had other plans.  He was angry and violent that night.  He held glass to my face and told me he was going to cut my pretty little face so no one would ever look at me again.  At that point, I thought I would be dead.  I do not think I have ever been more scared. He sexually assaulted me and then the anger subsided.  It was a long night and I thought I could get up, get the kids and sneak out of the house.  He had let the air out of my car tires so we could not leave.  The next morning we were held hostage in the house.  At one point I went into the another room to load the Christmas presents into a laundry basket.  He came into the room and  the boys and I rann out of the house.  I yelled at the boys to run to the store as fast as they could and do not stop.  He caught up to my youngest son and picked him up.  Just then, the neighbor and his wife were coming down the road in their vehicle and saw my two boys and myself out in the cold with no jackets.  The neighbor shouted "Put that boy down".  They must have called the police because as I collected the boys the police appeared.

He spent that Christmas in jail by choices he made.     We went through the court process and he was sentenced to four months in jail, no contact with me or the boys.  We divorced.  The boys have grown and they do not talk about this Christmas.

This was his madness.  I was strong enough not to give him the control and power of fear over me.  I am a lucky one.

Through my career as a medical provider, I have met many people who are victims of domestic violence.  We do not see what goes on behind closed doors.  Sometimes, we see the victims in time to help them.

This card says "She believed she could, so she did".



13 comments:

  1. Bless you for sharing your story! Your card is lovely and I adore the little bear. Hugs from Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is SO powerful and I'm so glad you feel like you can share it. Thank you for your friendship and your kindness. Your design is so pretty with those shades of purple and that stenciling. Barb, this is beautiful!! That hydrangea has such pretty detailing and looks awesome paired with that dry embossed background. Thank you for raising your voice in support of victims of domestic violence at the Hop to Stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. And so happy to know you survived something that could've been even worse. Your card is wonderful, love the mixed media & adorable bear. Awesome sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. goosebumps and terror for you while reading your story, but happy you made it out. <3 thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! Powerful story & can relate to your children. Had a Dad (since died) who terrified us kids & Mum by driving at crazy high speeds one night cos Mum said he was going over the speed limit.... just remembered that now & it was over 40 yrs
    ago! Looove your card & truer words were never spoken!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart goes out to you Jerry and I can relate to your story at many many levels.
    And yes it is so brave and good of you to share ...it may help someone reading it...help and encouragement comes in many ways

    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a powerful story Jerrie. Thank you so much for sharing it. Your card is absolutely gorgeous! Love that bear image, your stenciled background, and that sentiment is perfect! ((Hugs!))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story is terrifying, Jerrie. No one should have to go through that. I'm glad you had the strength and courage to get out with your boys. I would hate to think of what your life, and that of your boys, would have been like had you stayed; you got out and you survived! Thank you for being brave enough to tell your story. It's not easy to think about or remember these events. Sending hugs. Your teddy bear is precious - I like the sentiment too, very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jerrie, your story is chilling. I'm so sorry for what you and your children had to endure that but kudos to you for your strength to escape. I can't imagine what you must have been feeling.

    Your card is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing your story and your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jerri, thank you so much for sharing your story. It's easy to forget how many people are out there just trying to survive each day in what should be a loving and safe environment. Love and peace to you and your boys... your card is beautiful and that sentiment... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my!!! I'm terrified by your story! Such a horrible story! And an horrible man!! You have been so brave and I'm very happy for your freedom!!!! You have been very lucky, too!
    Your card is very beautiful, and the teddybear is so sad, but also so sweet and strong. As you are.
    A big hugs to you and to your children!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's difficult to put these things into words, but it does help to know that they really happen and they happen to people just like us. Thank you for being brave in sharing. Your card is just right and I am so proud that you left.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your story! You are very brave and I am so sorry that you and your children had to go through that! Your card is beautiful, love that teddy bear and that wonderful sentiment!

    ReplyDelete