Monday, February 9, 2015

A Very Special Valentine

Recently, I lost my mother. She loved nature images and did a fantastic job coloring and designing cards with them. At our last family card exchange, she had been working on this card. Stop crying Becca.


While going through the house, there was one unused image. Everyone said to throw it away but I could not. I scooped it up knowing I would use it to make something very special.
Every year, I would send mom a valentine card. Today, I made her last valentine with the image she colored and I will keep it forever. Honestly, I think this is my all time favorite.

I used Old Paper DI on the background. Then I stenciled little spots with Vintage Photo DI. I inked only one image of an embossing folder three times and carefully place it where I wanted the image. If I had a stamp it would have been easier but necessity is the mother of invention. I dyed twine and placed it to make two lines. I cut out the word LOVE and inked it. Mom had a ceramic shop and while cleaning we found the rub on paints she used. Once again I grabbed them from the trash bin and rubbed them on the LOVE. It gives it a highlight of gold. Then I carefully cut the cardnials out, knowing there would never be any more. I placed them on the lower line. I glued the LOVE on the upper line and made clothes pins with cardstock.


I know my mom would have loved her valentine. I am going to frame it and keep it in my craft room.


And as mom would always finish the conversation...MWAH!


This very special valentine supports:
House Of Cardshttp://www.houseofcardschallenge.blogspot.com/2015/02/love-challenge-week-one.html
Tim Holtzhttp://timholtz.com/12-tags-of-2015-february/
Mixed Media Card Challengehttp://themixedmediacardchallenge.blogspot.com/2015/02/mmcc-8-love.html
DL Art http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com/2015/02/dlart-february-linky-challenge.html
Just Us Girls http://justusgirlschallenge.blogspot.com/2015/02/its-word-week-at-jugs.html
Stamplorations http://stamplorations.blogspot.com/2015/02/february-challenge-stamps-hearts.html Love is on the card and although there are no hearts stamped on the card, I know there are two hearts in the card...mine and Becca's.
Craft Stamper Magazine http://craftstamper.blogspot.com/2015/02/take-it-make-it-challenge-february.html

24 comments:

  1. It is beyond beautiful and Grandma would have loved it so much. The aged, worn background just screams with loveliness and those birds pop against it. It is a fantastic design and is definitely going on my pin board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerrie
    Sorry to hear about your Mum.
    I'm sure she would have loved to receive such a splendid card. Thank you for joining in at House of Cards challenge.
    Best wishes.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to read about your loss....My prayers are with you! Your card is wonderful and and I think your idea is fabulous too! She will be with you in your craft room to watch over you! HUGS! Thank you so much for playing with the girls and I at JUGS! Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerrie, this is a BEAUTIFUL tribute to your mother. I think this is one of the most beautiful cards I've seen this Valentine season. Thanks for joining us at Great Impressions! HUGS and prayers sent your way! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so amazing! It jumped right out at me from the thumbnails! I love it and now I know it is even more special because of the sentiment behind it! I'm sure your Mom would have loved and treasured it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your awesome background! There are many wonderful details in it. Thank you for sharing at STAMPlorations! Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Treasure it with all your heart knowing your Mum is always with you. So glad you shared it and your story with us at Just us Girls. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice tribute to your mom. Glad you joined us at House of Cards. Hugs and prayers, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card Jerrie, those birds are fab!
    Thanks for joining us at House of Cards
    Lorry :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet story you have written and it contains so much love. I, too, shared my love of papercrafting with my mom. She's been gone 10 years now and I think of her fondly everyday. I treasure the cards she made and when I make certain ones, I know she would love them. thanks so much for sharing and for joining us this week at Just Us Girls. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure you Mum would love what you've done with the image, it's a work of love. Thank you for sharing it with us at HOC.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jerrie, I hope you check your comments because I don't see another way to contact you. You're our Chic of the Week in this week's challenge!
    Please contact me at drowley6@stny.rr.com so I can send your badge to you!!
    Thanks, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. *****hugs******
    This is beautiful, and such a tribute to your mom, Jerrie. And I did laugh a little at "stop crying Becca". Sending you lots of love :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful Valentine card, very special one. Your mum would have loved it. Thanks for sharing. Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so pretty with a wonderful distressed look to it. Love your background and I love the little "homemade" clothespins! Beautiful tribute to your mother! Thank you for sharing with us at House of Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful, special valentine ..... love the background! Definitely a work of art to treasure. Thanks for joining in with the TIMI challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a special card, Jerrie, and a wonderful tribute to your mum. Love how you did the background. Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It Make It.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely card and a lovely tribute to your Mom, Jerrie. Thanks for sharing it with us at the MMCC. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry to hear about your much loved Mum Jerrie, beautiful heartfelt card. ..Thank you for joining us for the Craft stampers Take it, make it challenge xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry to hear about your loss! This card represents an amazing way to remember your mom :) I love those birds and the way you did the clothespin :) Thank you for sharing with MMCC!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My heart breaks for your loss! I love how you created your card using your mother's work! You did a beautiful job and she would be honored. Thank you for joining our Word Cue Challenge at the House of Cards.
    Ruza ~ HOC-Designer
    Ruza's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete